[learn_more caption=”1. THE SOVEREIGNTY OF THE CITIZENS”]The people, NOT Parliament, must be sovereign and their inalienable, fundamental rights enshrined and protected at all times.[/learn_more]
[learn_more caption=”2. STRICT SEPARATION OF POWERS”]We must have a strict separation of powers with direct election of our Prime Minister who will head the Executive arm of government, with a cabinet comprising potentially the best minds and most qualified persons to be ministers of government, rather than Members of Parliament who:
- May not be qualified for the post.
- Already have too many responsibilities to serve their constituencies, law making and other parliamentary committee functions.
MPs must be elected on separate ballots from the Prime Minister to give them independence and empowerment to be the people’s true representative rather than being mere rubber stamps for the Prime Minister or Party leaders. We need to get the best Jamaicans to work for us whether they are here at home or in the Diaspora. Put them to work for Jamaica![/learn_more]
[learn_more caption=”3. TERM LIMITATION”]The Prime Minister would be restricted to serve no more than two consecutive terms. Members of Parliament and Senators would not be allowed to serve more than four consecutive terms.[/learn_more]
[learn_more caption=”4. FIXED ELECTION DATE (REMOVING THE ADVANTAGE OF A GOVERNING PARTY)”]Elections would be held on a fixed date or period every 5 years.[/learn_more]
5. DISMANTLING POLITICAL “GARRISONS”
6. ESTABLISHING CONSTITUENCY ASSEMBLIES
7. SECURING THE SAFETY OF THE PEOPLE AND AN EFFICIENT JUSTICE SYSTEM
8. TAKING THE POLITICS OUT OF THE POLICE FORCE
9. IMPLEMENTATION OF AN ENERGY POLICY TO MAXIMIZE SOLAR POWER
[learn_more caption=”10. ESTABLISHING REAL LOCAL GOVERNMENT (NOT CONTROLLED BY CENTRAL GOVERNMENT)”]We will create a genuine local government system with complete autonomy from central government subject only to audit by the Auditor General. We will create a special structure for municipalities in which Mayors will be elected directly by all the people within each municipality not selected by any party bosses. The functions of local government authorities will be clearly defined and will be separate and distinct from those of central government. Local government services will be financed by the statutory remittance of 5% of recurrent revenue as well as by local rates and user charges.[/learn_more]
11. TRANSPARENCY FOR FUNDING OF POLITICAL PARTIES
12. GREATER PUBLIC PARTICIPATION ON DECISIONS ON SENSITIVE NATIONAL ISSUES.
Leave a Reply